The Ultimate Fighting Championships took an important step forward last year when it introduced fighter’s insurance which provided full medical coverage for all fighters under the Zuffa banner. Whilst the coverage has relieved many fighters from heavy medical bills from injuries related to fighting, Strikeforce fighter Conor Heun has faced several issues with his recent claim.
Heun went on to the MMA Underground earlier today to share his experience with the ZUFFA coverage.
As some of you may know, I needed surgery to repair the torn labrum in both of my hips, as well as an avulsion fracture, following my bout with Ryan Couture in Strikeforce this past March. Unfortunately, Zuffa’s Insurance company has denied the claim so I am being forced to pay out-of-pocket to cover the surgeries. Luckily, the guys at Fund-A-Fighter have stepped up to help me be creating a campaign to help me raise the money.
The surgeon looked at the two torn labrum and on one side he said that I had a mild case of congenital hip dysplasia. He said that if he just repaired the labrum, that I would be at risk of re-tearing it so he performed a PAO or Periacetabular Osteotomy. This was to prevent the injury from happening again. The insurance denied that claim based on this being a pre-existing condition not related to the fight. The reality is that the injury (torn labrum) was related to the fight and the doctor just wanted to make sure that once it was healed, that it didn’t happen again. However due to stipulations in the Zuffa Insurance they are denying the claim because the PAO wasn’t to repair an injury, but was to prevent re-injury after the initial repair.
I am currently still under contract with Zuffa. In fact, Sean Shelby called me this afternoon to offer my the fight with Pat Healy on Jan 12. I told him I’d take the fight but that they’d have some trouble getting me cleared buy the doctors as I’m still on crutches and will be until Jan 3rd. He said that if I beat Pat, they would bring me to the UFC. When he found out that I was injured, he told me that I would not be brought over to the UFC but to get a win at 145 after I’m healed and they will look at bringing me on. I was flattered to get the shot at Healy, a title shot has always been a dream and yea, I’m crazy (and broke) enough to take that fight even in the shape I’m in. So while I am officially still under contract with Zuffa, I was told to expect my release early next year.
Follow Karim Zidan (@TheFlyingKneeTO) for all the latest MMA news and updates.